Thursday, September 30, 2021

Giant-Man In The 25th Century!

 


Where YOU Weigh In on the Pros and Cons of a Character's New Attire

FEATURING:

Giant-Man


There are few Avengers--or few costumed characters in general, for that matter--who have been overhauled and refitted more than Henry Pym, whose attire as Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, etc., etc., etc. has changed so often over the years, depending on what breakthrough or what handicap he was dealing with at any given time. And that pattern was beginning even in late 1963, when he decided to spend most of his time in costume as Giant-Man rather than Ant-Man, and almost immediately changed his costume's design accordingly.



In March of 1965, however, when he felt the need to add to his abilities in order to have a (pardon the pun) higher profile as an Avenger, a more extensive costume (and equipment) adjustment was required.



This new power was to cybernetically change the size of other organic forms--something he'd already accomplished with the Wasp, using the circuitry in his old cybernetic hood-mask. As it turned out, readers would rarely if ever see this helmet's power employed during Pym's remaining time with the Avengers.

Nevertheless, the Wasp decided to take this development one step further.



Are you thinking what I'm thinking?


But let's not "buck" tradition--what's your decision on the look of the new Giant-Man?

OR: ?


11 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Thumbs down. I preferred the one before with the two blue stripes. On the other hand, the blue and yellow that comes out when he changes his name to Goliath is a big improvement.

Big Murr said...

Sorry to be wishy-washy, but I find the new costume rather a lateral move. Both suits have their merits and failings. The old one doesn't look to have much thought given to its design at all, while all the blue accoutrements on the new look like extra argle-bargle.

If the blue elements were removed, the new costume would be an inverse pattern-motif of what the Wasp is wearing. A nice nod to partnership styling.

Colin Jones said...

I must admit that I'd been completely unaware of the all-new, all-different, all-improved Giant Man costume until I saw it on the PPoC a few days ago. Even after all these years I still have things to learn!

Rick said...

I liked the newer costume at the time. Who plopped the Kirby head on the Heck body?

Comicsfan said...

dangermash, someone would have to check me on this, but I think Giant-Man's prior costume had black vertical stripes, while the blue ones may have been unique to the action figure pictured. I do think blue stripes would have made the difference in that particular costume change, however minor; that said, I think Murray has it right by calling this one as a lateral move, in spite of the helmet and shoulder plate additions.

Colin, researching the PPC has often been a learning experience for me over the years, so I can relate!

Dave S said...

Thumbs down for me. I much preferred the earlier Giant Man costumes, especially the circle-with-lines-coming-out-of-it one. Not a fan of the chestpiece or silly hat on the new costume, but hey, the GM stories around that era are so endearingly strange that I'll forgive any sartorial misjudgements!

Comicsfan said...

I liked the design of that costume's emblem as well, Dave. (It took a commenter to flick on the lightbulb in my head that it resembled the head of an ant!)

Anonymous said...

Do I like the new look of Giant Man?
I say thee nay!
But I agree with Murray that's it's a "lateral move", except for me, the old one wasn't great either.
Pretty simplistic, but we are talking about early Sixties comics, I guess.
But surely somebody coulda come up with something with a little...I dunno!
Something cooler, anyway.
That goofy space-opera helmet was not the answer. No wonder Hank Pym was prone to nervous breakdowns. I'd have one too.
And why does a giant guy have antenna, anyway. Maybe they serve a scientific purpose for the character but to me, it was just confusing.

Also, I just want to say, how can anybody not like the Living Eraser? If Marvel had a Suicide Squad I bet he'd be on it. I'd buy that comic.

M.P.

Comicsfan said...

Well, M.P., Hank didn't forsake his abilities as Ant-Man when he decided to make Giant-Man the focus of his life as a hero and Avenger--thus the antennae, to summon an ant brigade (or simply transportation) when necessary. Besides, picture Giant-Man wearing just a hood over his head, and there's even less to notice about him!

Dave S said...

@Comicsfan. I had never noticed until you pointed it out above that GN's chest symbol resembles an ant's head! I had always assumed it was some abstract way of showing something increasing in size and spreading out as it grows (yeah I know that doesn't make much sense), but now you mention it, the ant image all adds up!

Anonymous said...

"Ant brigade?" Really, C.F. ?

...that is kinda funny, I gotta admit.

M.P.